Forum problem - spam protection blocking everything

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #4038 by nzgreg
hey Frank,

I think your forum software is a bit aggressive on spam detection. I can't seem to post any thread replies without being blocked due to complaints about breaking text into paragraphs. It's making using your forums a bit tricky.

Current solution is to add a tiny post first to avoid being blocked, and then to edit the post a few times adding more text.

cheers,

// greg
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by nzgreg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #4041 by Frank
Hahaha, you are totally right.

The worst is that I had to modify the standard forum php code to add those constraints because I for some reason I was been bombarded with spam every few minutes.

Even with some of the classic spam check plugins + recatcha and the math question, I was still getting so much spam that if I didn't look at the forum for a few hour, the spam was filling out the first page.

So, I modified the php code to not allow the messages that look like spam.
- Those that contain words like (viagr*, p*lls, etc).
- Those that contain long paragraphs (most spam generated by bots just cramp full articles into big paragraphs that look like a wall of text).
- URL in the titles, too many urls in the message, etc.

By doing that, I got rid of most of the spam, some still pop up, but its far more managable.
The downside, is that depending on your writing style, it can trigger your messages as spam, sorry!

Some tips to avoid that:
- Make your paragraphs only 3 or 4 lines long. (anyways, paragraphs longer than that are hard to read)
- Use (.) to separate sentences.
- Separate paragraphs with a blank line.

Again, sorry for this inconvenients. I will do a search to see if there are better plugins now to detect spam.
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: nzgreg

More
4 years 2 months ago #4042 by nzgreg
hey Frank,

thanks for replying :)

Yeah, spam, nightmare for everyone... thanks for trying to keep on top of it!

cheers,

// greg

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine