TermData.Description in non-editor builds

More
5 years 1 month ago #3554 by studenman
We have a lot of Description text for our translators and it seems like this should only be needed in the editor or in the source spreadsheet. It looks like it's serialized in the player builds also. Have you considered making it private with a property to set/get the Description? Like so:
#if UNITY_EDITOR
    [SerializeField]
#endif
    private string Description;
    public string DescriptionText { get { return Description; } set { Description = value; } }

This code avoids the error that Unity will report if you just wrap the field in #if UNITY_EDITOR and then try to build.

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #3555 by Frank
Hi,
Descriptions were set to serializable in both the Editor and the Game, because they were also meant to hold information that could be used in the Callbacks (e.g. Converter names, manager, etc).
However, one of the features introduced a while ago, was the ability to add disabled languages. These can be languages that are in progress and shoudn't not be selectable, or it can also be bogus languages used to store this extra information (if needed).

So, yes, I like the idea of removing the serializable attribute for In-Game as that will save memory for most users.
Will add that to the next beta.

Thank for the suggestion!
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
5 years 1 month ago #3556 by studenman
Cool. Yeah I guess that makes sense to use a disabled language column, or even a custom specialization for extra term information. So far I've only used the Description to contain notes for the translators, such as cultural oddities or meaning clarifications. You'd know the typical use-case of your clients, but I suppose if you do make this change you can label it with ***BREAKING CHANGE*** in the Release notes. Thanks for the support.

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine