Localization params auto-translating design flaw

More
5 years 8 months ago #3194 by studenman
This is in regard to the recent decision to add a feature whereby if a LocalizationParamsManager value ends up being a term string, then it gets auto-translated.

I can see a very common use-case would be to supply user-defined values as dynamic parameters. This would mean if the user set their alias to something like "App_Name" then it would replace the player's alias with "Fortnite" instead of the string they wrote. I think the LocalizationParamsManager should have a boolean to determine whether or not the parameter's value is interpreted as a term or not.

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3195 by Frank
I see your point. That can happen when you are using parameters entered by the player.

v2.8.8a3 now has a bool to set if you want the parameters to localize as well. Otherwise, it just displays the parameter as is.
I also added that flag to the LocalizedString, the LocalizationManager and Localize component.

However, the number of checkboxes in the Localize component was becoming too big, so instead, I added an Options popup where you can select which features to enable/disable for that component.

if you are querying the translation by code, you can use the allowLocalizedParameter:
                LocalizationManager.ApplyLocalizationParams (ref translation, allowLocalizedParameters:false);

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: studenman

More
5 years 8 months ago #3196 by studenman
Thanks for the quick response @Frank!

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine