Auto-translation problem

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2036 by nzgreg
hey,

I'm just testing I2 Localization (v2.6.9f1, latest Asset Store version) using the example scenes and I'm not seeing the auto-translation working as expected.

The docs ( I2LocalizationManual.html?AutoTranslation.html ) say that unapproved terms that have been auto-translated are exported as GOOGLETRANSLATE() formulas and cells are shaded to indicate this. We are only seeing the baked results of the auto-translation and no cell shading. When the spreadsheet is reimported back into Unity the terms are now appearing as approved and are not showing any approval ticks.

cheers,

// greg
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by nzgreg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2037 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Auto-translation problem
I will be correcting the documentation about this soon.

unapproved terms that have been auto-translated are exported as GOOGLETRANSLATE() formulas and cells are shaded to indicate this

That used to be the behavior, but doing the parsing in the WebService to know where terms were approved or not, and then doing the same in the editor, was too slow. When having just a few terms, it was not noticeable, but as the number of terms grow, the webService was taking too long doing all the string operations.

That why a few versions ago this was changed, so that auto-translated terms no longer get marked as "need human translator to check it". That way the webService import/export become way faster.

If you want to mark terms as auto-translated, so that human translators could know what changed, you should add a mark to the "Description" field (that will show as a Note in the spreadsheet) or create a Disabled language and type the note there (that will show as an extra column in the Spreadsheet).

I really liked this feature, but the speed improvement was more important for all the customers I talked about this.

Hope that helps,
Frank

EDIT: Here are a few threads about the original issue:
inter-illusion.com/forum/i2-localization...-import?start=6#1323
inter-illusion.com/forum/i2-localization...e-to-i2auto-tag#1850

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Frank.

More
7 years 1 month ago #2038 by nzgreg
Replied by nzgreg on topic Auto-translation problem
hey Frank,

thanks for your reply. Yep, it just looks like the docs are out of date so our tests weren't matching up with what we were expecting to see. I hunted through the source code to see what might have been happening as well and did not find any use of GOOGLETRANSLATE so I suspected things might have changed.

The auto-translation state being so easily lost means that the UI might be a bit misleading - there is probably less use for the approval flags being shown in Unity (for anyone that imports/exports the data). I assume that if parsing the data in the webservice is slow, that having separate columns to use as 'auto-translated' flags is also not really an option.

cheers,

// greg

More
7 years 1 month ago #2039 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Auto-translation problem

I assume that if parsing the data in the webservice is slow, that having separate columns to use as 'auto-translated' flags is also not really an option

Having the extra column will not be slow.
It was previously slow, because the webService had to get the information of all the cells, then compare each of them to see if they were using the GOOGLETRANSLATE function. And if so, extract the result and send that, but also attach a flag so that the editor knew that translation was auto-generated. Google Scripts is not very fast at doing all those string operations!

However, currently the webService just needs to get the value of all cells and send that to Unity. That's why having an extra column or passing information in the Description field will not slow down the import.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2040 by nzgreg
Replied by nzgreg on topic Auto-translation problem

Frank wrote: That's why having an extra column or passing information in the Description field will not slow down the import.

I was more suggesting an extra column per-translation to store an auto-translation flag, rather than using the description field or a disabled language as meta data.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by nzgreg.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine