Alternative to [i2auto] Tag

More
7 years 5 months ago #1846 by kylerwk
With the latest update the [i2auto] tag was removed from the plugin. I relied on this tag pretty heavily to make sure we didn't ship any google translated text.

Was it really such a performance hog that it needed to be removed? Do you you have any ideas of a good alternative method?

Also, other random comment, why is there no way to re categorize a term from the Localize component? It's something that I always want to be able to do!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #1850 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Alternative to [i2auto] Tag

Was it really such a performance hog that it needed to be removed?

Yes, there was a HUGE performance cost. When the spreadsheet only have a couple thousand terms, is not noticeable, but as it grows bigger, it was taking up to several minutes importing/exporting. (if I recall correctly, the change made it 70 times faster)

The problem was that the WebService can't do string manipulation as fast a normal desktop application, so it was taking a lot of time just to parse the terms and then to assemble them!

Do you you have any ideas of a good alternative method?

You can keep two spreadsheets, one for development and one for releasing.
Normally, you link the development one, and work on it.

Translators should be the only ones authorized to modify the release spreadsheet. They will copy from the development spreadsheet into the release and approve the changes.

The final game links with the release spreadsheet. So that its easy to verify if a translation is missing (there is even an option to display a warning on all labels with a missing translation).

Then, after release, you can keep using the development spreadsheet, and those changes will not be visible in the released game. Unless the translators move the changes manually, at which point the live-auto-sync will automatically download the new changes into your game.

That solves two issues: translations needed to be approved by the translators and that you could continue developing your translations after the game is released without fear that temporal translation get automatically downloaded to your released game.

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Frank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine