Imported Google text not saving to PlayerPrefs

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #1604 by jimmyt3d
Hi Frank,

I am having a problem where the updated text on the Google spreadsheet only imports into the game on the first boot, then resets back to the original text for any subsequent boots.

Steps -
- Build game
- Open Google spreadsheet
- Make a change to one text string (ensuring 'last modified' timestamp is correct)
- Boot game
- Text in-game is updated with the new text string (correct)
- Reboot game

Result -
Text in-game is now reverted back to the original unedited text even though the spreadsheet has the latest.
Every subsequent reboot now just displays the old text until the spreadsheet is updated again.

This happens 100%.

If I now make another change and reboot the game, the new change is picked up, but as soon as I boot it again it reverts back again.
I'm not too bothered it it takes a couple of boots to pull down a new change, but the fact that it is reverting back to the original every time is worrying.
For example, if I make 4 changes to the same string, it won't revert back to the previous change, it will revert back to the very first version of it (that was in the game at build time).
I assume the new data is not getting saved in the PlayerPrefs, therefore resets back to original upon a new boot unless another change is made.

Steps taken to try and resolve issue -

- Changed Product name in Unity Player Settings to generate a brand new set of PlayerPrefs
- Deleted all PlayerPrefs
- Imported/Exported spreadsheet in the editor before building (ensuring sheet 'last modified' timestamp is correct)
- Rebooted PC
- Made several new builds with different filenames each time
- Output a new spreadsheet

Details -
Unity 5.3.5f1
I2Loc 2.6.6 b1 - Game previously used 2.6.0 and it worked fine with this. Set up a brand new gmail account/webservice and brand new spreadsheet when updating to new version.
Auto Update Frequency - 'Always'
Delay - 1 sec
- PC Standalone build
- Windows 10

Extra info - The last used language IS getting saved correctly. If I change the language in the game and change the text on the spreadsheet then reboot, the new language remains active but not the text.

PlayerPrefs screenshot attached - taken just after deleting existing ones and running the game again.

Any suggestions to resolve the issue are welcome.

Thanks


Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by jimmyt3d. Reason: Extra info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #1607 by Frank
Hi,
Thanks for giving me so much detail!!!!

I was testing yesterday in my latest version but couldn't reproduce this issue. Nonetheless, I found and fixed a couple corner cases that made part of the cache (the version of the last downloaded spreadsheet) become invalid.

Today I will switch to your exact unity/I2L version and try reproducing this.
I will let you know as soon as I get a fix.

Thanks!
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #1611 by jimmyt3d
No problem, I worked in QA for 8 years, so I know the importance of detail!

I look forward to hearing the results of your investigation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #1612 by Frank
Hi,
I just uploaded version 2.6.7f2 to the Beta Folder.
That includes a fix for a couple issues related to the Goggle Live Sync.

I was unable to reproduce the issue you was mentioning, however, I found that the comparison of the Spreadsheet versions was failing in some cases. Also, the plugin was skipping downloaded data when the versions matched for the second time. That may have caused what you was seeing (the second time you open the game after it downloads new data, it reverts to the original one)

I hope you could test this new version and let me know if it solves your problem.
Thanks!
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #1614 by jimmyt3d
Hi Frank,

Thanks for putting in a fix - the latest beta build listed in the plugins manager is 2.6.7 a4 - is f2 somewhere else?
Let me know if I need to email you my invoice, as I haven't used a beta or pre-release version before.

Just as a side note - I've just set up a brand new test project, fresh install of I2Loc (2.6.6), new gmail account/spreadsheet etc and the same problem is still occurring 100%.

Thanks
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by jimmyt3d. Reason: Extra info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #1616 by Frank

Thanks for putting in a fix - the latest beta build listed in the plugins manager is 2.6.7 a4 - is f2 somewhere else?


I normally don't update the version that shows in the plugins manager until several users test the beta.
But all the new versions are in the Beta folder:
inter-illusion.com/forum/i2-localization...ssing-early-versions

Just as a side note - I've just set up a brand new test project, fresh install of I2Loc (2.6.6), new gmail account/spreadsheet etc and the same problem is still occurring 100%.


Yes, it most definitively be an issue with the Spreadsheet versions, I hope the fix in f2 solves that for you.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 1.214 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine