Terms with HTML/Rich Text tags in them

More
6 years 8 months ago #2385 by johnnemann
Hi!

I have some terms with things like italics tags in them - <i> </i>, etc.

This seems to mess with the terms database, or maybe just the spreadsheet import/export.

Is there a best practice for dealing with this?

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #2386 by Frank
Hi,
I'm not aware of any issue with tags in the terms translations. Several of our games uses tags like bold and fontsize without problems.

Are you referring to <tags> inside the Terms translation or in the Term's name? Is the error happening when importing/exporting or when creating the terms/running the game?

Can you please, describe a bit more what do you mean by "this seems to mess with the terms database"? What steps are you doing and if possible a couple screenshots of your languageSource and Localize component (to rule out a setup issue).

That will help me to understand your situation and give you a solution!
Thanks,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
6 years 8 months ago #2387 by johnnemann
This is in the term's name. For instance, I have a term "God <i>damn,</i> you're givin' me chills, sweetheart!"

In the Terms view in the inspector, I see "i> you're givin' me chills, sweetheart!" as the term - the "God <i>damn,</" part seems to have become part of the Category, instead?
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #2390 by Frank
Hi,
I see the issue:

When you create a term in the editor, there is code to remove all invalid characters (anything non ASCII and most symbols). However, when you import from a CSV or Google Spreadsheet, the data is imported as is.

I see that could cause issues and its not a good practice anyway. So, I added code always validate the term's name and remove invalid characters.
The changes will be included in the next beta.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
6 years 8 months ago #2391 by johnnemann
Hmm, I thought I had posted this before, I must have screwed up, sorry:

It's actually not a problem in game, it turns out. It only causes problems with the display in editor, but all the terms seem to translate just fine.

I'm planning on using different strings for terms anyway, but for testing I'm using these, so it's not a huge deal regardless. Just something I noticed.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.594 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine