Activating a GameObject caused hiccups of ~100ms

More
7 years 6 months ago #1813 by buxy
Hi I2 team!

I am using version 2.6.6 b1. Enabling a (UGUI) window's GameObject caused a sudden brief slowdown. I have pinpointed the problem:

ResourceManager.cs:131 invoked a Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets(); call.

As we are working on a quite big game, the implicit call of GC.MarkDependencies(); takes an enormous time. We are managing resources ourselves, so it was an unpleasant surprise. Please consider not making this call, or doing it in a more delicate way.

Thanks,
BuXY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #1816 by Frank
Hi,
Thanks for pointing this out!
I was going to remove that call anyways, as in Unity 5 it shouldn't be needed after every resource unload, but it was there for safety.
In your case, its safe to remove it, in the next release I will schedule it to only happen once and not in the frame you switch languages (as that frame is quite expensive as is)

Thanks,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
7 years 1 month ago #2096 by ModernAlchemist
We just tracked down a nasty bug on iOS IL2CPP which caused our game to randomly crash because of this call "Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets();".
Unity left is with no stack trace whatsoever and the error message looked similar to this: forum.unity3d.com/threads/il2cpp-crashes...nd-loadlevel.316775/ and forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-crash-...assetbundles.380944/

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine