Constructive Feedback on official 2.6.6 b1

More
7 years 8 months ago #1586 by theH00b
  1. The game's fonts appear in the term list. I read about the problem in the forum already. Even if there's a technical reason for this, it doesn't make it very user friendly.
  2. The terms that I select in the tab "Script" for Compile Time Checking don't stay selected. This makes it hard to add terms later on, as you need to find all the ones previously selected and check them again.
  3. The localization component that I add to text gameobjects is tot complex. How about an additional simpler one for the basic needs? I 95% of the cases all I need is to select a term.
  4. Adding new terms should allow to directly set the translation in the default language and the category. Currently when I add a new term, I need to find it in the long list, add the translation, check it, go to the categories tab and set the category. This is too complicated and takes too much time.
  5. Clicking on random places in the components and the "global source" opens the documentation. It's enough the have the link at the bottom right of the window. Furthermore the link is not up to date anymore.

Maybe some of these are already fixed in the latest betas, I didn't have the time to check them. Anyway, I hope this can help improving the asset. Thanks for an already great localization tool, it facilitates our work a lot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1587 by Frank
Hi!
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!! I love suggestions, so don't hesitate in letting me know what else is making your work harder!

The game's fonts appear in the term list. I read about the problem in the forum already. Even if there's a technical reason for this, it doesn't make it very user friendly.

The plugin is able to localize the font, so that you could have several fonts with only the characters you need for each language, and only keep in memory the one you are using. That saves tons of memory.
I2L is detecting that some of your texts are using fonts that are not localized, so its hinting you that you can localize them. They are only listed in the LanguageSource, and marked as (Missing).
If you click to Add the term, and assign fonts to each language, the plugin will automatically use that for every text using the original font.

If that is annoying you, you could filter the Missing terms, by clicking the MISSING button at the top of the list. Most of the time the Missing terms are those inferred by the plugin (Font name, or a text where you added a Localize component, but didn't select a term). So, its safe to set Missing as disabled, and only enable it from time to time to check for errors.

The terms that I select in the tab "Script" for Compile Time Checking don't stay selected. This makes it hard to add terms later on, as you need to find all the ones previously selected and check them again.

You are totally right, and its indeed annoying. I will add code to detect the previous terms and re-select them automatically.

The localization component that I add to text gameobjects is tot complex. How about an additional simpler one for the basic needs? I 95% of the cases all I need is to select a term.

Haha, Yes, the Localization component has come a long way. It started with only the translations, but now has lot of things.
I like the idea of a minimal version, but don't like having two components. So, I will add a toggle at the beggining of the component, that will fold everything but the term popup.

That way, you set everything you need, and fold the component to make its inspector as small as possible. And later on, if you need to set something again, then just click the toggle again and the inspector will unfold.

Adding new terms should allow to directly set the translation in the default language and the category. Currently when I add a new term, I need to find it in the long list, add the translation, check it, go to the categories tab and set the category. This is too complicated and takes too much time.

When you add a term, you can edit its name, so, instead of using "My text", add the category at the beggining (e.g. "Category1\SubCategory\My Text") that will automatically add the category.
I will double check why the button doesn't go automatically to where you could write the Term's translation.

Clicking on random places in the components and the "global source" opens the documentation. It's enough the have the link at the bottom right of the window. Furthermore the link is not up to date anymore.

The only places where clicking will open the documentation, is in the bottom bar (where the links are) and at top, in the name of the component (where it says Localize in big letters). Are you seeing any other place where you click and it opens the browser?

I thought it was easy to click the name at the top and open the documentation without having to scrool down to click the link. Do you feel the name shoudn't open the documentation as a shortcut?

BTW, The link to the real documentation is now fixed in the latest betas. If you get 2.6.7a3, it will work great, plus a lot of other improvements like Parameters, getting Fonts and Textures from bundles, localizable dropdowns, among others.

Hope that helps, and thanks a lot for the suggestions,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
7 years 8 months ago #1588 by theH00b

The plugin is able to localize the font, so that you could have several fonts with only the characters you need for each language, and only keep in memory the one you are using. That saves tons of memory.
I2L is detecting that some of your texts are using fonts that are not localized, so its hinting you that you can localize them. They are only listed in the LanguageSource, and marked as (Missing).
If you click to Add the term, and assign fonts to each language, the plugin will automatically use that for every text using the original font.

That sounds fairly useful, but still very confusing. Maybe because "MAIN" and "SECONDARY" don't say much at all?
If I understood correctly, MAIN is for localizing text and images, SECONDARY for localizing fonts and atlases. Why do they use the same list of terms then? I think it would help a lot to separate these.

So, I will add a toggle at the beginning of the component, that will fold everything but the term popup.

Sounds great!

When you add a term, you can edit its name, so, instead of using "My text", add the category at the beginning (e.g. "Category1\SubCategory\My Text") that will automatically add the category.
I will double check why the button doesn't go automatically to where you could write the Term's translation.

That works great, thanks!
When I add new terms and click on Create, it seems like it jumps up a bit towards the new term entry, but it rarely jumps all the way up to it.

Are you seeing any other place where you click and it opens the browser?

No, only these two. I tend to click on empty places in interfaces to deselect input fields, so I clicked left and right of the titles a few times.

Do you feel the name shouldn't open the documentation as a shortcut?

I would say from a user perspective there's no link between a component's title and it's documentation. You would't expect it to open the documentation, so it's something you have to learn. Personally I would't need the documentation so often, so one link at the bottom would be enough.

I will send you a few more usability issues by mail since it's a bit complicated to post images here.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1596 by ForIHaveArrived
If you get 2.6.7a3, it will work great, plus a lot of other improvements like Parameters, getting Fonts and Textures from bundles, localizable dropdowns, among others.

Where can I download this beta version? Thanks!

More
7 years 8 months ago #1597 by Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine