Will it work with Unity 4.7.2/ NGUI 3.6.8?

More
7 years 9 months ago #1567 by CGR
I'm looking to translate my game, Chaos Reborn into various languages.
It is made using Unity 4.7.2/ NGUI 3.6.8, and has been on Steam for nearly two years, and runs on PC, Mac, Linux; I'd be somewhat reluctant to upgrade Unity to 5.x.x or NGUI for fear of something breaking.
Is there a version of I2 Localization I can get that is compatible with these versions of Unity/ NGUI?

My next issue is, nothing in the game has been "prepared" for localization. As I understand it, I need to add a "UILocalize" component to all of my NGUI labels, and copy the text from those labels into a CSV file. This will be time-consuming to do manually, I have some 800 prefabs and many complex scenes.
Is there some tool to automatically create an initial CSV file, and add localization components, from my existing labels?
E.g., I can imagine something that searches my scenes and prefabs and whenever it finds a label, it adds a localization component, gives the next available numerical key from the CSV, and puts the existing english text from the label into the "English" column in the CSV.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #1570 by Frank

Is there a version of I2 Localization I can get that is compatible with these versions of Unity/ NGUI?

The latest version (2.6.6) is compatible. I just released to 5.0.0 in the AssetStore as 4.x is used by less than 5% of the unity users and it was annoying having to prepare and submit every alpha/release in each unity version.

But if you download the plugin in a 5.0 unity, you will be able to use that package in 4.7.
Alternatively, if you send me an Invoice Number I can give you access to the Beta Folder and you can download the newest packages from there without having to install Unity 5.

Is there some tool to automatically create an initial CSV file, and add localization components, from my existing labels?

There is a tool that ports NGUI localization to I2L. But it only do so, for localized NGUI projects (i.e. those with UILocalize components).
Most of the time you don't want every single label to be localized, given that lot of them will only show stats, numbers, etc.

However, is really easy to port (I could send you a version of the tool that detect UILabel instead of UILocalize)

or even easier if you just want to localize everything:

- Open your scene
- drag all your prefabs into the scene
- type UILabel in the search box, (that will show all gameobjects using that component)
- click "Add Component" and add a Localize component to all

By adding a Localize component, the plugin will "infer" the term by using the label text.

So, if you then open the Assets \ I2 \ Resources \ I2Languages.prefab, ALL of the inferred terms will be shown. you just need to click "Select Missing Terms" and then "Add Terms". That will create a Term for every text you have in your game.

And finally, go to the Languages tab, and add the languages you want.
Click "Translate ALL" and it will translate each text to every language.

Easy! Localization....done! :-)
Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
7 years 9 months ago #1572 by CGR
Thanks for your fast and comprehensive reply, we just bought it:)

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine