Translated text doesn't match spread sheet

More
3 years 5 months ago #1317 by zmeinaz
Hello,

I just started using the tool and I've noticed that the translated terms in the I2Languages prefab sometimes doesn't match the text in the google spreadsheet after merging. Also the text in the game (when played in the editor) is replaced with the text from I2Languages prefab and not the google spreadsheet.

The example I have noticed this on is:
English: PRESS AND HOLD TO DELETE A GAME
German I2Languages prefab translation using the translate button: DRÜCKEN UND HALTEN SIE EIN SPIEL ZU LÖSCHEN
German translation in google spreadsheet:Gedrückt halten, um LÖSCHEN EIN SPIEL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #1318 by Frank
Hi,

I just started using the tool and I've noticed that the translated terms in the I2Languages prefab sometimes doesn't match the text in the google spreadsheet after merging.


I tested a spreadsheet with the terms you mention, but they are downloaded correctly. I tried Import-Replace and Import-Merge, can you please send me a csv file with a spreadsheet that fails for you and the exact steps you do to make it fail?
Also, are you auto-translating in the spreadsheet, or are you manually typing the translations?

Also the text in the game (when played in the editor) is replaced with the text from I2Languages prefab and not the google spreadsheet.


That's the intended behavior. Whenever you are in the editor, the localization data in the I2Languages.prefab its supposed to be the most up-to-date given that that's the one that will be shipped with your game if you do a build.
If you want to use the data from the spreadsheet, do a Import-Replace and that will download the latest data and that will be used from that time on. Notice, that whenever you do a Import from google, the spreadsheet modified time is downloaded and saved so that when the game is deployed, it could query google to see if there is any change in the external spreadsheet.

DRÜCKEN UND HALTEN SIE EIN SPIEL ZU LÖSCHEN
vs
Gedrückt halten, um LÖSCHEN EIN SPIEL


That's an "error" but its current intended behavior.

What happens, is that whenever you click Translate, the plugin tries to make the translations use a similar format than the original text. To match the context the developer is using.

The plugin is able to detect:
- lowercase sentences
- UPPERCASE SENTENCES
- First letter uppercase
- Title-Case Where All Words Start With Uppercase

When one of those patterns is detected, then the translation is converted to match that pattern as well.
Problem is that some languages use different casing rules (e.g. German) and that's why it breaks for it.

I will see if in future versions I can use the case rules of the target languages, but as I don't personally know all languages (shocking! haha) its hard to detect this special patterns (e.g. Title-case). But I will definitively investigate if there is a built in way of detecting that.

In the meantime, what you can do, its to do the translations in the spreadsheet and then do (Import-Replace). That will download the content of the spreadsheet without auto-detecting the casing.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine