Big spreadsheet causes Google Services timeout

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #1300 by alberto
Our spreadsheet is getting really big ( 7 languages, 57 sheets ) causing timeouts while importing/exporting the data from Google Spreadsheets. Have you guys ran into this problem? We're pondering how we should tackle this issue.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #1301 by Frank
Hi,
I haven't experienced any Timeout and haven't had any reports about that.
I have personally tested with spreadsheets having 200K terms and 2 sheets, but I don't think many developers have go near that "57 sheets" so, there maybe the problem given that there is an overhead involved in accessing each sheet.

I will try reproducing that today and optimize the webService to handle that case better.
Can you give me some stats on how your spreadsheet is organized:
- How many terms per sheet?
- Are you using subcategories inside the sheets (e.g. sheet "Tutorial", term "Intro\Lets Play")

Are you experiencing the timeout when importing/exporting from the editor or when using the Auto-Update feature in-game?

In the meantime, things you can try:
* Split the spreadsheet in a several smaller ones.
* Create more global LanguageSources (I2Languages.prefab, I2Languages1.prefab, etc)
* In the LocalizationManager there is an array with the name of the global sources, by default it only has "I2Languages", but you can add the other ones you create so they get automatically loaded on startup
* Then link each language source with a different spreadsheet.

Hope that helps and I will try releasing a webService update asap.

Thanks,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: alberto

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #1302 by alberto
Thanks for your quick response!

-Our sheets have an average of ~150 terms per sheet. The biggest one has over a thousand.
-We are not using subcategories
-We are not using the Auto-Update feature in-game, as it was taking too much time to get the data.
-The timeout we experience is from the editor

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine