Bugs and feedback

More
8 years 4 months ago #1180 by Sycobob
Replied by Sycobob on topic Bugs and feedback
I don't mind tossing the I2Loc back on there. It was just odd that it failed silently even though it already had a proper link to the spreadsheet. (I renamed it after I hooked it up). I don't mind the behavior, but it might be a good idea to log an error in that case so the user knows something went wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1191 by Sycobob
I found a few more things. Mostly related to the search box on the Terms list.
  1. When typing into the search box at the bottom of the Terms list, it often loses focus and kicks the cursor out of the box. I'll type a couple letters at a time and it stops accepting input until I click it again.
    i.imgur.com/Nvhbs3T.png

2. When using the search, the selection shortcuts at the bottom (All, None, Used, Not Used, Missing) select from the full Terms list, not from the ones that are visible.

3. The search box in the Terms list resets every time you select a different object.

4. Typing in a Category name doesn't let you type a '/' at the end. This prevents me from entering 'GUI/MenuTitle' unless I type the 'M' then go back and insert the '/'.

5. If an inferred Term (possibly any Term) has a newline in it, it doesn't display properly in the popup list on Localize scripts. Perhaps it should replace \r and \n characters with explicit "\r" and "\n" strings (for display purposes only).
    i.imgur.com/BzxO78r.png

6. Sub-Categories don't show up as new sheets in Google Drive. They show up on sheet for the root Category (e.g. "GUI/Button/Back" will show up as "Button/Back" on the "GUI" sheet).

7. I don't see a way to choose the language you want to display in the Editor. I'd like to be able to select the current language in the Editor and have all the Localize scripts change to the selected language without need to play the game.

8. The Assets tab on the Language Source throws GUISkin related warnings.
    i.imgur.com/KnwgDec.png

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1193 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Bugs and feedback
Hi,
Thanks for keeping reporting all issues you have and any suggestions!!!

When using the search, the selection shortcuts at the bottom (All, None, Used, Not Used, Missing) select from the full Terms list, not from the ones that are visible.

Fixed

Typing in a Category name doesn't let you type a '/' at the end. This prevents me from entering 'GUI/MenuTitle' unless I type the 'M' then go back and insert the '/'.

Fixed

If an inferred Term (possibly any Term) has a newline in it, it doesn't display properly in the popup list on Localize scripts. Perhaps it should replace \r and \n characters with explicit "\r" and "\n" strings (for display purposes only).

Fixed as well. I'm replacing all consecutive non printable/ascii characters by space. That solves the \n and the issue where inferred term contained a \

Sub-Categories don't show up as new sheets in Google Drive. They show up on sheet for the root Category (e.g. "GUI/Button/Back" will show up as "Button/Back" on the "GUI" sheet).

That's actually the intented behavior. Google doesn't support hierarchical tabs, thats why only the root category its converted to a sheet. Given that you could have tons of subcategories, and most of them will contain just a few terms, It could generate lot of very small sheets.

In case of needing to make sheets for the subcategories as well, you could do "GUI_Dialog" instead of "GUI\Dialog".

Nonetheless, do you think that it will be more intuitive/better to generate a sheet for each category node?

I don't see a way to choose the language you want to display in the Editor. I'd like to be able to select the current language in the Editor and have all the Localize scripts change to the selected language without need to play the game.

I just added a new button ("Show") at the end of each language in the Language list in the LanguageSource.
When you click the button, it previews all text/images/etc into that language.

I also made another fix to the Localize inspector, so that if you click a translation it will preview it in the scene. But as soon as you select another object, it will revert the preview to its original value or the translation in the previous language.
The Assets tab on the Language Source throws GUISkin related warnings.

That was fixed in a previous version, but got reverted accidentally (Its prone to error the fact that Unity needs me to export the plugin to several versions of Unity, updating each sub project lets to this issues :-( )

Anyway, I just re-added the fix.

The new version (2.6.3 b1) its already in the beta folder. I also added a few more changes, see the entire change list:
NEW: IOS Store Integration (adds the languages to the info.plist file)
NEW: If the localize component, can find its inferred term in a source, it will use that term and stop inferring it
NEW: When adding a term to a source, the scene is parsed and every object inferring that term will start using it
NEW: In LanguageSource inspector, button "Add Terms" and "Remove Term" will use the selected term even if it doesn't have the checkbox ticked
NEW: When auto-generating ScriptLocalization.cs, if the file was moved, the plugin finds it and regenerate it in the new location
NEW: Non printable/special characters in the Terms name are removed from inferred terms to increase legibility
NEW: On the Terms list, the buttons at the bottom (All, None, Used, Not Used, Missing) now select from the visible terms not the full list.
NEW: Button "Show" next to each Language in the LanguageSource to preview all LocalizeComponents in that language
NEW: Clicking on a translation previews how it looks, but selecting another object will now stop the preview and revert to the previus language
FIX: Compile error in TitleCase(s) when building for Windows Store
FIX: Android Store Integration was using a wrong path and now all generated files are in Plugins\Android\I2Localization
FIX: Textfield used to type the new category now allows typing \ and / to create subcategories

I will be fixing the other issues you mentioned with the searchbox loosing focus and will post another update later on.

Hope that helps, and thanks a lot for taking the time to report this issues!!!
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Frank.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1194 by Sycobob
Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Frank wrote:

Sub-Categories don't show up as new sheets in Google Drive. They show up on sheet for the root Category (e.g. "GUI/Button/Back" will show up as "Button/Back" on the "GUI" sheet).

That's actually the intented behavior. Google doesn't support hierarchical tabs, thats why only the root category its converted to a sheet. Given that you could have tons of subcategories, and most of them will contain just a few terms, It could generate lot of very small sheets.

In case of needing to make sheets for the subcategories as well, you could do "GUI_Dialog" instead of "GUI\Dialog".

Nonetheless, do you think that it will be more intuitive/better to generate a sheet for each category node?

I can see the logic in that. It's probably nicer to have a few bigger lists than a bunch of smaller ones in this case.

I did find some other issues, 2 of which lead to data loss:
  1. If a term was auto-translated and hasn't been 'approved', when exporting it to Google Drive the Categories are included in the translated text. So Term "InputOptions" in Category "Menu Title" will be saved to Google Drive as "Menu Title / InputOptions" even though it's configured as "Input" locally in the Language Source prefab. Then, the next time I sync with Google Drive, the correctly configured local Term gets overwritten by the incorrect Google Drive Term.

To add context, I've been completely ignoring that Approve button. I have no idea what it is supposed to do. If I approve the translation, the text is kept. If I don't approve the translation, the text is still kept, so what's the purpose of having to approve it? If I don't like the translation, shouldn't I just be able to Undo? Ctrl+F through the documentation doesn't mention anything about approving translations. Also, this is another button with no icon on it.

2. There are several cases where the Language Source prefab is not marked dirty. This means Unity doesn't know to save it and data is lost when you close the Editor. I haven't dug in, but it looks like changing the Description on a Term doesn't mark the prefab, nor does syncing against Google Drive even when that causes Terms to change.

There are likely other cases and they will probably be pretty hard to suss out. However, since this causes the user to lose their work, it's a pretty important thing to test thoroughly and address. I notice it locally because I made changes in the Language Source inspector, saved assets in Unity, and went to commit my changes through SVN. The prefab didn't show up as modified. I then forced it to change by adding a new dummy term and saving assets. The next time I tried to commit the prefab contained all my previous changes in addition to the dummy Term.

Worse comes to worst, I'd rather brute force it and always mark the prefab as dirty as soon as it gets inspected than risk losing work.

3. When exporting to Google Docs, the Term column width and the word wrapping on translated text columns are reset. I'd prefer to be able to set these myself and have the changes stick. The Terms column is too narrow and clips my Terms and some of the translations are long, so I'd rather them wrap than run off the screen or get clipped.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1198 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Bugs and feedback
Hi!
Sorry for the delay in answering, I saw the post at work and by the time I got home I thought I had already answered! Again, sorry for delay (this has been crazy days!!)

To add context, I've been completely ignoring that Approve button. I have no idea what it is supposed to do.

Whenever you use the translate buttons, those translations are flagged as "Translated by Google" and are meant to be checked by a human translator. Thats why the "Approve" button, once a human translator verifies that the translation is correct, then that button can be used to change the status into "Translated by Human".
The same effect can be done by having the human translator re-typing the sentence again. The approve button its just a shortcut for that (to flag that a translation is ok and can be used in production)

There are several cases where the Language Source prefab is not marked dirty

I have been trying to reproduce this issue, but haven't been able to find a way to have the LanguageSource not been saved correctly after unity closes or the project is saved. Also verified that after most operations there is a UnityEditor.SetDirty(...) call.
However, I remember to have seen in the unity beta list something related to a missbehavior of the SetDirty function in some unity versions. I don't recall exactly what was it (have to look it up again). But just in case, can you let me know in which unity version you are seeing that happening, so that I could try reproducing it.

(Be aware that for the I2Languages.prefab be saved, you have to close unity or execute Save Project from the menu, given Unity doesn't save prefabs regularly)

About the first issue, I will add a fix for it asap.

Again, sorry for the delay, this days have been really busy at work and by the time I get home I can barely turn the computer on!
Thanks,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine