How long before Google Spreadsheet updates?

More
8 years 6 months ago #983 by AfterInsanity
I found a typo on a translation for my game that was recently released. I have the translations in the Google Spreadsheet. I just made the fix in the Google Spreadsheet and was wondering how long it would take for the update to get downloaded by I2 in the released copies? Does it check every startup or does it wait X number of days?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #984 by Frank
It checks on startup.
So, as soon as the game is opened again, it will get the updated data.

That will also depend on the settings in your Language source. If you go to google spreadsheet tab in the editor, there is a popup defining how often it contacts google for updated data. It can be "ALWAYS" which try contacting on every startup, "DAILY" which only contacts if there has been at least a day, etc.

Another thing, that you should double check is that the time stamp of the spreadsheet actually changed. It happens sometimes that I make changes in the google spreadsheet and google doesn't detect that there was a change. So, if you open your google drive and see the time stamp of the spreadsheet file, it shows the date of last modification to be an old one.
To avoid that issue, I always check that the time stamp in the google drive changes after doing a modification that I want to be automatically picked by the plugin.

BTW. Congrats on releasing your game!!! Can I ask which is the name of the game or a link to it. I will love playing it myself!

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: AfterInsanity

More
8 years 6 months ago #985 by AfterInsanity
That helps a lot, thanks. I forgot about the Auto Update Frequency setting.

BTW. Congrats on releasing your game!!! Can I ask which is the name of the game or a link to it. I will love playing it myself!

That would be great! The more the merrier. Its currently only released on iOS (Android version is in the works): Dodging Dragons . Spread the word! :lol:

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1238 by kylerwk
Is there a way to put a piece of code ingame that will trigger a language update? I'm hoping to put one in so that if translators want to make and see updates in real time.

My guess was to use LocalizationManager.UpdateSources() but I can't seem to see if that is working.

Though I actually haven't had any luck seeing changes I make to my google spreadsheet propagate to my Unity project.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by kylerwk. Reason: Grammar

More
8 years 1 month ago #1239 by Frank
Hi,
By setting the update frequency to ALWAYS, the game will download the data every time the game its restarted.

However there can be some cases where this is skipped:

- If the spreadsheet last modification date its not newer than the last downloaded one. Sometimes modifying the spreadsheet in google drive doesn't update its "last modification date", if the data its not updating, please make sure that date its actually been modified. If it isn't, then try making more changes to the spreadsheet.

- The game has a bad "last downloaded date". It could happen when the google "last modification date" its missbehaving, that the game downloads a very high date (sometimes one into the future) and so it will never download spreadsheets again. (I have only seen this once, and it was when I was seriously stress testing the spreadsheet download feature). A fix for this its to clear the PlayerPrefs (or delete the app from the device and reinstall it)

- Downloading the spreadsheet doesn't happen when you are in the editor, only when playing the game in the devices. When playing in the editor, the local languageSource its supposed to be the most up-to-date so thats used instead.

Is there a way to put a piece of code ingame that will trigger a language update?

The code that triggers the download its the Import_Google function in the LanguageSource.
That function its called whenever a LanguageSource is loaded:
LocalizationManager.cs
		internal static void AddSource ( LanguageSource Source )
		{
			if (Sources.Contains (Source))
				return;

Sources.Add( Source );
			#if !UNITY_EDITOR
				Source.Import_Google();
			#endif
			if (Source.mDictionary.Count==0)
				Source.UpdateDictionary(true);
		}

If you want to trigger downloading at any point in the game (and making sure the download happens no matter what the update frequency its), then call the Import_Google(true). Using True as a parameter will force the download.
LocalizationManager.Sources[0].Import_Google(true);

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1240 by kylerwk
Worked perfectly! You're the best Frank!

If your interested, the game UltimateChickenHorse.com will be using your plugin. It has been very effective and getting this work done. Once the game is launched I will write a glowing review.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by kylerwk. Reason: grammar

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine