[Request] GoogleDrive Import : Ignore Column

More
8 years 8 months ago #909 by chanhpomme
Hi,

Our team is using I2 Localization for 6 months, and it's a great plugin [insert lots of compliments here] !

We have a bunch of stuff to localize and now we need to give it to translators.
In the google drive file, we have many columns that are not translations, like a comment column, a version column, author, type, etc...
To make I2 not import those columns as languages, we just add a " * " to the column name and we made a change to GoogleLanguages.cs line 121:
if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(CodedLanguage) || CodedLanguage.Contains("*"))
{
	Language = string.Empty;
	code = string.Empty;
	return;
}

This way, the column won't be imported.

Is there a proper way to achieve this feature, and can it be added to a future version of I2 Localization ?

Thanks.

Chanh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #910 by pierredumas
exact same question here

More
8 years 8 months ago #913 by Frank
I like the idea of filtering what's imported in order to have extra data in the google spreadsheet.
However, the problem I'm seeing is that it will only work for importing. You will loose the ability of making a change in your computer and clicking to Export to google.

You can do Export merge, or Export only what has changed. But not Export Replace as that will delete your extra columns. When several people are changing their local version and committing, there can be synchronization issues. At that point a Export Replace comes handy, but it will wipe the extra columns in google.

To avoid this issue, Most users add the extra information into the term description. Which in turn is shown as a note so that it doesn't take extra screen space in your spreadsheet as its shown like a tooltip.

You could have a description like:
"Type: Font
This font is used in all the Title labels
version: v1.0
author: unknown"

As I said, I like the idea and will gladly add it into the plugin, but we have to figure out a way to not break the Export Replace function :-)

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
8 years 8 months ago #920 by chanhpomme
Thanks for the fast answer. You deserve a 5 star rating on the asset store ;)

Hmmm... I see what the problem is but just using the description is too restrictive for us. We like to use all the power of google spreadsheet, that's why we like having many columns.

I maybe have an idea of implementation to keep the Export Replace function.
When clicking on Export Replace, you could download the file from google drive without ignoring any column, and then you could merge the extra columns to the terms that are the same in Unity, and upload it on google drive. I hope this is clear, and I can explain it again if it's not.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #1805 by OrthoKent
I have this exact same need (I'd like to add a Notes column so that I can give info to the translators).

The thing I've done is just create a new language called "NOTES", which does import and export to the spreadsheet fine. The problem is that since it isn't a real language, it causes problems with Google auto-translate (which I use a lot). When I hit 'Translate All' on the term, it fills in the NOTES language with a bunch of web error code.

And if I don't translate the NOTES column, all of the terms show up yellow in the terms list, which makes it impossible to find legitimate problems with terms that are missing in a valid language.

My proposed solution would be to allow for the creation of arbitrary languages (NOTES, AUTHOR, etc), but then have a special entry in the official language dropdown that tells I2 that this is not a language, and not to treat it as such. By which I mean, in the dropdown where you can officially tag a language as en-US or fr-BE, there'd be one like No-Trans.

The only difference would be that 1) I2 wouldn't try to auto-translate it 2) if a term was blank in a no-Trans "language," I2 wouldn't consider it untranslated (since not all terms require a note or explanation). And that column could be passed back and forth between I2 and Google Translate with the text intact (i.e. this "language" would show up in the Unity editor as well).

Would that be possible?
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by OrthoKent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

More
7 years 6 months ago #1809 by Frank
Hi,
I like that approach.

So, I will be adding an empty Language Code. Then, whenever the language code is empty, the language will not be translated and there will be no warnings related to it.

I'm also going to be modifying the way the codes list is displayed so that it also shows the name of the language and have sub-menus (e.g. instead of "en_CA" show "English/Canada (en_CA)", that should help better to identify the correct language code for new languages.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine