Can't change language to Simplified Chinese

More
8 years 11 months ago #574 by iseeall
Hi again, found another bug in the plugin:
I have 2 Chinese versions: Simplified and Traditional.
I have 2 buttons: one sets Simplified Chinese, the other Traditional Chinese. As I mentioned in another post here, these can be considered almost as 2 separate languages because people on Taiwan island can't read the new Simplified Chinese symbols which the Communist Party of China invented a few decades ago. Taiwan has 20 million population with high GDP/capita, so it's an important market which has access to GooglePlay while the 1.3 billion mainland China has GooglePlay banned. AppStore is allowed in both Taiwan and mainland China, so both language versions should be present.

At the moment no matter what type of Chinese I set the button to select, it would always select Traditional Chinese which those Chinese from mainland who get the iOS version of the app won't like cuz they don't like Taiwan.

Actually, there are 8 versions of Chinese in the plugin. I tried using just "zh", "zh-CHS" for simplified Chinese, and "zh-TW" or "zh-CHT" for traditional one - it doesn't work in any combination. Whatever type of Chinese the button attempts to set, it always sets traditional Chinese. I suppose it's because you have some kind of fall back to the default language version, and "traditional" is set as default or something.

Btw GoogleTranslate (if that's the service the plugin is using for the "translate" button) doesn't understand "zh-CHT" I suppose, as it returns just English back. From what I know, it understands ZH_TW and ZH, not sure though, and I can't read Chinese.

On a related not, Serbian also returns just English, because GoogleTranslate only understands SR, but in the plugin there are only SR-BA and SR-SP both of which GoogleTranslate doesn't understand.. I think just simple Serbian with SR code would be fine. Serbian has a latin and cyrillic versions btw. In other games I used SR for cyrillic version and SH (Serbo-Croatian) for the latin version. Though with Serbian it's not very important cuz that country is small and brings very little revenue anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #575 by Frank
Hi,
I was not able to reproduce the issue with Simplified and Traditional Chinese languages.
Attached you can find an example scene with buttons to set both languages.
Please, let me know if you using a different approach.

EDIT: Could it be that you have some languages in I2Languages.prefab and others in a source inside the scene?

Btw GoogleTranslate (if that's the service the plugin is using for the "translate" button) doesn't understand "zh-CHT"

You are absolutely right about that. The plugin fails when auto-translating some of the variations that google doesn't support.
I will be adding tomorrow (to version 2.4.4 f3) a mapping so that languages get properly translated by google or fallback to the most similar variant in case google doesn't support it.

Thanks for letting me about this issue
Frank

Attachment LanguageTest.zip not found

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Frank.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #576 by iseeall
Thanks Frank, I'll try it and let you know.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by iseeall.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #577 by iseeall
Thanks Frank. I tested and it works. I suppose the reason is that now the languages names are "Simplified Chinese" and "Traditional Chinese". In my case they were: "Chinese (Simplified)" and "Chinese (Triditional)" - as the language selector sets them. Maybe you are parsing a language name in the first word? And the rest is ignored?
Anyway, the languages are selected fine now and I'll leave the names as you sent them to me for it to keep working. Thanks.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by iseeall.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #578 by Frank
Hmm, weird, I also tested with "Chinese (Simplified)" and "Chinese (Triditional)" and it was working.
I just named them Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese because in your first post you named them like that so I wanted to see if that was the issue.
I will keep trying to find how you make the language selection fail. :-)

Thanks,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Frank.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine