TMP font creation and character sets

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #4024 by exerion
Hi I'm creating my TMP font assets and I'm not sure how to structure it all and what characters to include.

Some background - We're trying to support 14 languages, players can enter their name and chat with each other. Since at any time a player could be playing with someone else whos name and chat messages are in another language it's going to get complicated. The languages we're localizing in include English, Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai and Turkish.

1) Since English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Turkish share a lot of characters I was going to put them in one static TMP font with dynamic fallbacks TMP fonts for Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Thai. For the other languages like Arabic, I was thinking about having a static TMP font for the most commonly used characters and then dynamic fallbacks for the less frequently used characters, then additional dynamic fallbacks for the other languages. Is this the correct approach?

2) If I have a primary static TMP font for each language which characters should I include? It's simple for languages with a small character set like English but what about Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Thai?

3) Has anyone used a dynamically populated TMP font using the render mode SDFAA on mobile? What is the performance like?
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by exerion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #4025 by Frank
Hi,
There is a tool to find exactly what characters should be included in the fonts.
inter-illusion.com/assets/I2Localization...usedinLanguages.html

It not only list the needed characters, but also for some languages (e.g. Arabic) depending on the words, the text need to be "fixed" to render correctly, this tool also adds those characters to the list of needed characters.

Said that, I have been using TMPro dynamic fonts in mobile and there is no much performance impact (at least on my use cases). So a combination of both should work fine, and even fully use dynamic fonts for Chinese and similar languages with huge character sets.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #4026 by exerion
Hi Frank, thanks for your quick reply :)

There is a tool to find exactly what characters should be included in the fonts.
inter-illusion.com/assets/I2Localization...usedinLanguages.html

I looked into this tool. It's a good start for knowing what to include in my static TMP fonts but I can't rely on it. Using this tool I might miss commonly used characters that players use in their names or chat messages. I would like to avoid TMP fonts being populated at runtime unnecessarily.

For example, Japanese has over 50,000 characters. I need to know which ones to include in the static TMP font on top of what is used in our game. I read that jōyō kanji are commonly used characters so maybe I'll start there.

I was hoping that someone who has done this before could help me out :)
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by exerion.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine