RTL Languages paragraphs start at lower right

More
9 years 3 months ago #385 by Golio
Hello,

I am using NGUI and I2 Localization. I have the Problem that arabic text starts at the bottom right corner. instead of the top right corner. The direction is correct. In the google spritesheet it looks correct, when I download the csv and open it in notepad++ and change the direction to RTL it also looks correct. Does the Plugin work with Text wrapping? It seems not. Single line Text looks Ok.

Is there a solution for this Problem?

Greetings Christian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #390 by Frank
Hi,
The plugin currently doesn't change the text wrapping as that's managed by NGUI. If the label is resized NGUI changes the wrapping and splits the lines in a different order.
Adding text wrapping to the plugin involve checking for when the label size changes and splitting the lines before NGUI gets to parse the text.
The plugin however fixes the text rendering to show the characters linked correctly. That, as you said, helps one-line labels.

I have "using the text wrapping" in my roadmap but haven't prioritized it yet as there hasn't been many people asking for that feature. Instead I have focused on the features that has been most requested.

BUT that's definitively in the NEAR roadmap!

A workaround for showing paragraphs in RTL languages could be used to manually split the lines in the spreadhsheet. So, instead of having one big paragraph, You should place an ENTER at the end of each line.
That way NGUI will not have to split the lines itself and will avoid making the paragraphs start at the bottom right, while the I2 localization will work on each line and render it correctly.

Nonetheless, thanks for reporting that issue. I will try to prioritize it
Thanks,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick_Field

More
9 years 3 months ago #392 by Golio
Ok thanks for the reply. I will try to solve it looking in the related ngui code. Quickfix will be that I will use English for the help text and arabic for the buttons.

Greetings
Christian

More
9 years 2 months ago #465 by AhoyThere
I'd like to throw my vote in for this feature as well. Our company's application adjusts the NGUI labels depending on the user's screen size, so sometimes labels fit on one line and sometimes they wrap to multiple lines. Since we have an Arabic version of our software, RTL languages that can handle paragraphs would be very useful. Thanks! And great plugin otherwise.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #945 by AlbertoA
Hello Frank!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've also run into this issue of RTL text wrapping making the text read bottom to top.. The last reply to this thread was over 7 months ago, is there any update to this issue? Using UnityGUI. Thanks for making the best localization plugin on the asset store :)
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by AlbertoA.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #965 by Livealot
I am going to camp on to this thread, although my scenario is slightly different, but related.

I have a section of my help documentation that is a single text block with bullets, e.g.,
  • Do this
  • Then do this
  • Then finally do this do this

For Arabic, the text is RTL, but the alignment of the bullets is left justified instead of right justified

I'm using NGUI, so guessing my workaround will probably involve an OnLocalize script that changes the pivot when its Arabic, ala...

public void AlignRTL () {
if (LocalizationManager.IsRight2Left) {
this.GetComponent<UILabel>().alignment = NGUIText.Alignment.Right;
}
}

The above seems to work but I want to flag it in case that is something the plugin can handle automatically for RTL languages, which would be better.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Livealot.

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine