CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE

More
5 years 8 hours ago - 5 years 6 hours ago #3684 by GuruGurra
Edit: Problem solved and it wasn't caused by I2 Localization. Unity 2019 has "Multiplayer HLAPI" package installed by default. I've removed it and additional permission has gone.

I updated the Unity Editor to version 2019.1.0f2 (from 2018.3.12f1). Now when I re-build my app (no changes, just a re-build with the new Unity version) and publish it to Google Play I get a critical warning about a new requested permission "CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE". In addition, Google Play warns about a number of devices that are no longer supported by my "new" version. The reason for no longer being supported is the lack of support for "android.hardware.wifi".

There is a "fix" in Unity 2019.1 where this permission is being added when:
- UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkTransport::SetMulticastLock method is used
- or UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkDiscovery type is used.

I2 Localization is the only component that references UnityEngine.Networking in my project. Do you reference SetMulticastLock or NetworkDiscovery and if so, is it something that you can change?

It's an ongoing debate whether or not the Unity fix is correctly implemented and I will probably open a Unity bug report on this (NetworkDiscovery should not require WiFi hardware...) Until then, is it something you can do (assuming that you are "responsible" ;) ) to get rid of those warnings?

Link to the original bug report that caused the "fix":

issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...oid-slash-...n-acting-as-a-client
Last edit: 5 years 6 hours ago by GuruGurra.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 hours ago #3685 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE
Hi,
Great that you solved the problem!

BTW, I2 Localization only uses the UnityEngne.Networking reference to access the UnityWebRequest class (i.e. the old WWW is deprecated in the new Unity versions).
That class shoudn't be changing anything big or requiring much, BUT, it does require the internet permission access.

Some project don't need/want their games to use Google Live Sync so, there is no need for the to request that permission.

I will be adding a toggle to disable the UnityWebRequest when not needed in order to avoid requesting that permission as well.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine