Chinese and fallbacks

More
5 years 11 months ago #3002 by studenman
We found an issue where a missing translation in Traditional Chinese was falling back to Simplified Chinese. TextMeshPro then reported missing glyphs and most the characters were replaced with spaces, leaving an unintelligable sentence behind. Are there other cases like this where it's grouped as the same language, but the writing is different so you'd never want this to fallback to the other Chinese, but instead to the default language (in my case, English)?

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3009 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Chinese and fallbacks
This is actually a bug:

Whenever the main text is using a fallback, the secondary text should use the same fallback language.
What's happening to you is that the main text fallsback to Simplified, but the Secondary Term (for the font) doesn't match that and instead, it uses the Traditional Font.

I will try getting a fix of this asap.
Thanks for reporting this,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
5 years 11 months ago #3011 by studenman
Replied by studenman on topic Chinese and fallbacks
OK, yeah, that makes sense and thanks for fixing that. My point is still mostly valid, though - in the case of Chinese would it make sense to show Simplified Chinese characters to a Traditional Chinese reader and vise versa? The writing seems so different compared to, say Spanish ES/MX where most of the words are the same. Or English UK/US. Even the fonts have to be different for the two because the same glyphs have to be written differently in a lot of cases. I'm wondering if it isn't better to fallback to English? Not quite sure the right answer, I'm not a linguist...

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine