Versioning localization sheets

More
5 years 11 months ago #2965 by Gray
We're using I2 in an application and we find that as we release new versions, we periodically need to create a new spreadsheet to avoid changing language in old versions of the app. One thing we've run into is the caching of localization is not version independent.

Let's say we have two versions of the app each using its own spreadsheet ("old App" uses "1st sheet", "new app" uses "2nd sheet").

The setup:
- Install "old app". User prefs are updated with "1st sheet" version and last updated timestamp
- continue to make changes to "1st sheet", all is fine
- start dev on "new app" and create "2nd sheet"
- make changes to "2nd sheet", all is fine
- Install "new app". User prefs are updated with "2nd sheet" version and last update, all is fine

The twist:
- Make a change to "1st sheet" and run "old app". User prefs are updated with "1st sheet" version and last updated
- Run "new app"
- The cache still points to "1st sheet" information because the timestamp and version are the "latest"
- It doesn't know that we're on a different sheet

The workaround:
- Make a change to every spread sheet in consecutive order to ensure the later ones have a later timestamp

The solution:
- You should probably cache the spreadsheet Id along with the version/time stamp so you can clear the cache when the sheet id is different from last cached.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #2972 by Frank
Hi
Thanks for reporting this!
A fix for this issue is now in v2.8.6a3. I will upload that version to the beta folder later day!

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gray

More
5 years 11 months ago #2977 by Gray
Replied by Gray on topic Versioning localization sheets
Thanks so much for the quick response Frank! I'll check it out and let you know if I have any issues. Do you have a sense of when the next official release will be coming out?

More
5 years 11 months ago #2980 by Frank
Hi,
I normally try releasing a full version every 2 months. So that its fast enough to keep your games always with the latest improvements, but not too often that you have to spend more time integrating I2 Localization than building your game.

Nonetheless, I always release several alphas and betas during those 2 months in-between versions. That way you can get the fixes and improvements as fast as possible, or wait until a full release.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gray

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine