Feature Request: Term search improvements

More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #2919 by studenman
Workflow-wise I find myself editing the terms (key names) and language text via either the Google spreadsheet or even by editing the I2Languages.prefab (YAML) file directly using a text-editor.

It tends to be faster to rename or change text than going through the LanguageSource inspector. This is mainly because it requires a lot of clicks and thinking to find the terms you want because the filter menu is clumsy and the search is limited. Here are some interface improvements that would really help:
  1. 99% of the time I just want to see a single term group. So I have to click Nothing and then click the group I want. I think you should be able to hold down SHIFT to it show only this group, no matter what the state of the filter is at the moment. Or perhaps a better idea would be to reverse that and have SHIFT add or remove from the current selection and without SHIFT replaces it.
  2. Currently the Search field under the terms UI doesn't search for group names. I often use groups and then the final term key is just a number 0,1,2,3,4, etc. That way I can use the very handy GetTermsList("Game/Praise/Good") to enumerate possible messages. So for these terms I need to be able to search by the group name. I have a lot of groups.
  3. Similar to #2, I'd like to be able to search for language text. For example, there's a lot of power in being able to find all instances of a certain word. For example if I want to replace "color" (en-US) with "colour" (en-GB) without having to find them in the game UI or across multiple tabs in a spreadsheet.
I can't think of a reason not to just have the term search find everything (terms, text, and groups). Since you can further filter by group, it's easy to narrow down the results pretty quickly. Maybe other people have an opinion on this?

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by studenman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3001 by studenman
Hi Frank, just bubbling this up to see what you thought of these suggestions?

Twitter | Facebook | Web

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #3003 by Frank

99% of the time I just want to see a single term group. So I have to click Nothing and then click the group I want. I think you should be able to hold down SHIFT to it show only this group, no matter what the state of the filter is at the moment. Or perhaps a better idea would be to reverse that and have SHIFT add or remove from the current selection and without SHIFT replaces it.

Now that we are using a custom menu for the categories, that's possible. Previously it was the built-in tag filter from Unity which doesn't allow that control.
Will add this for the next release.

Currently the Search field under the terms UI doesn't search for group names. I often use groups and then the final term key is just a number 0,1,2,3,4, etc. That way I can use the very handy GetTermsList("Game/Praise/Good") to enumerate possible messages. So for these terms I need to be able to search by the group name. I have a lot of groups.

Good call. So, basically you want to do filter: "Game/Praise" and it will show all terms under the Game/Praise category plus all terms that are under the Game category and start with Praise.
I like that, will add it to the next beta.

Similar to #2, I'd like to be able to search for language text. For example, there's a lot of power in being able to find all instances of a certain word. For example if I want to replace "color" (en-US) with "colour" (en-GB) without having to find them in the game UI or across multiple tabs in a spreadsheet.

Do you mean, to search inside the term's translations?
Like for instance:
if you filter by "example"
It will show all of this cases:
- Terms that belong to the "example" category (e.g. "Tutorial/Example01/Title")
- Terms whose name contain "example" (e.g. "Help/ExampleTitle")
- Terms having the word "example" in their translations (e.g. "TIP1":English='This is just an example")

Is that right?

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Frank.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #3004 by studenman

Frank wrote: Do you mean, to search inside the term's translations?
Like for instance:
if you filter by "example"
It will show all of this cases:
- Terms that belong to the "example" category (e.g. "Tutorial/Example01/Title")
- Terms whose name contain "example" (e.g. "Help/ExampleTitle")
- Terms having the word "example" in their translations (e.g. "TIP1":English='This is just an example")

Is that right?

Yes that's right, but I suppose if you want to get "blue sky" and have the time, being able to select search parameters would be even better, for example:
[x] include term keys
[x] include groups
[x] include term translations
[x] case sensitive
[x] regular expression
etc...

It's not a big deal, though, because I end up using Google Spreadsheets for most of the searching I do, for example, looking for missing glyphs, misspelled words, rich-text tags that I want to replace, etc. At first I used to use the LanguageSource to do a lot of the editing of terms and now we just do everything in Google Spreadsheets and Import > Replace. That workflow also ensures we don't get bitten by that bug I mentioned in the other post about the blank terms being corrupted with fallback text.

Twitter | Facebook | Web
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by studenman.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3007 by Frank
Hi,
I just added a better filtering to 2.8.6b1.
Now by default it will show all terms where the name or its category matches the text

But it can also have a prefix to modify the search:
c text will filter all terms whose category doesn't have 'text' (i.e. will not try to match the term name)
f text will show only terms that have the word 'text' in their translation.

To make this even easier to remember, I added a tooltip next to the filter bar showing the possible options.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: studenman

More
5 years 11 months ago #3012 by studenman
Thanks Frank, that will be useful! It's not a big deal, but maybe you should adopt the Unity standard of prefixing search terms with "letter + :"? For example t:Texture will find type Texture. So likewise you could search for c:Names to find terms in the Names category. Just an idea.

Twitter | Facebook | Web

Time to create page: 0.718 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine