Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Term rename copies fallback language: not wanted

Term rename copies fallback language: not wanted 3 months 2 weeks ago #2918

  • studenman
  • studenman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 55
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
Easiest to explain by showing a screenshot of the I2Languages.prefab diff after I renamed a term. You can see the renamed term added/moved to the end of the terms list below. I have two languages, en-US and en-GB. Notice all other terms get their en-GB language replaced with a copy of en-US.



In our LanguageSource, normally only about a dozen terms have en-GB localizations and the rest are purposely blank and fallback to en-US. I don't want them copied because I want to track which localizations are modified and which are the same (blank ones).
Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Term rename copies fallback language: not wanted 3 months 1 week ago #2926

  • studenman
  • studenman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 55
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
Any thoughts on this one @Frank? Thanks much!
Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Term rename copies fallback language: not wanted 3 months 1 week ago #2927

  • Frank
  • Frank's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1096
  • Thank you received: 231
  • Karma: 68
Hi,
I tried a different ways of renaming the terms, but no matter what I do, I don't get the fallback issue.
Can you please let me know what steps I could use to reproduce the problem.

I tried:
- Created a language source with en-US and en-GB
- Added a term and filled the en-US translation
- Selected the term in the Language Source, and clicked the "Rename" button that its right after the translations
- Verified that the new term has en-GB empty

Can you also let me know what version of I2 Localization are you using?
I was trying 2.8.6a1

Thanks,
Frank
Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Term rename copies fallback language: not wanted 3 months 1 week ago #2928

  • studenman
  • studenman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 55
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
I was using v2.8.5f1, version 2.8.6a1 was just released today.

That's weird, I'm no longer able to reproduce the issue either. I wonder if something else happened prior to this that could have filled-in the empty en-GB strings with en-US text? I will try to use the rename interface more and I will follow-up if I get it to happen again.
Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Term rename copies fallback language: not wanted 3 months 6 days ago #2935

  • studenman
  • studenman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 55
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
I just had a similar problem and I was also not able to reproduce it. This time it swapped the en-US and en-GB text, leaving the en-US blank. I'm not sure when it happened, but I noticed it after adding two new terms and then uploading to the Google sheet (with Replace). Then I saw that the text was in the wrong language column.

If I didn't frequently check into my Subversion repository, this kind of database corruption would be quite irritating.

Using version 2.8.5f1. You can maybe test it with that I2 Language.prefab that I emailed you a couple weeks ago. It has en-US and en-GB, with most of the en-GB translation blank.
Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by studenman.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Term rename copies fallback language: not wanted 3 months 6 days ago #2936

  • studenman
  • studenman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 55
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
One more similar issue - sometimes when using Google Sheets > Import > Merge, I end up with both en-US and en-GB filled in. In other words, it copies the en-US text to the blank en-GB text instead of leaving en-GB blank. If I use Import > Replace, then the en-GB is correctly left blank as it was in the spreadsheet.
Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Colors