CharSet Tool - Would like to filter by font

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #2871 by studenman
Here's a new feature idea that would be quite useful.

The CharSet tool is useful for generating fonts for just the characters in use (for example TextMeshPro). However, for most languages we have several fonts: e.g. one for normal text, one for titles/headings. These fonts are used for different text. The heading font is displayed larger and typically needs fewer characters. This is good because fewer characters means they can take up more space in the font atlas, which makes the characters look better at larger size.

I think you get where I'm going with this. Right now the CharSet tool searches in all text for a particular language, but it doesn't look at all the I2.Localize components in all the scenes. This would allow it to consider the secondary localizations to determine the font for a particular language and determine the characters used not just for that language, but language + font.

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #2888 by Frank
I like that idea.

I'm also going to add the ability of filtering by categories. So that you can get all the characters used in "Tutorial,MainMenu", etc.

thanks for the suggestion!
Frank

Tracked here: trello.com/c/G5CgagaL/25-charset-tool-to...-font-and-categories

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
6 years 5 days ago #2967 by studenman
One more addition to this feature - both I2.Localize and TextMeshProUGUI have the ability to convert case. I use this currently in TextMeshPro to force capital letters on many headings. As a consequence I don't build lower-case letters into the TMP Font Assets.

It would be super awesome if the CharSet tool, in addition to filtering by font, could also consider case conversion (in both TMP and I2.Localize) and only add the glyphs that will end up being used.

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

More
6 years 5 days ago #2969 by Frank
Agree!
Will add that too!!

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine