Bug in Google Spreadsheet import?

More
6 years 1 month ago #2819 by studenman
If the text begins with two single-quotes, one of them appears to get dropped after being imported into the Language Source. Seems to work correctly if the same string has two single-quotes later in the text. This is a case where we used two single quotes because it looked better in a particular font.

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Twitter | Facebook | Web

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #2820 by Frank
Haha, I had to double check the Spreadsheets Standards to verify that's the right behavior, but yes, it seems that's the expected/correct behavior.

The problem is that in Excel, Google Spreadsheet and some other spreadsheet programs, the single apostrophe at the beginning of the cell, has an special meaning. It defines that the string that comes next is a Text, not a date, nor a value, but a Text.
That means, that when you type in an Spreadsheet you are basically typing [Text].
You can even see in the spreadsheet, that its cell doesn't show the (') you can only see it when you click it and edit its formulae.

To make the double single quotes work, just make it three single quotes (''') or add an space at the beginning ( '').

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
6 years 1 month ago #2821 by studenman
Thanks for the detailed and interesting reply. However, there's still a problem here. If I create a term with a single quote mark at the beginning within the Language Source prefab, I would expect to be able to send it to a google sheet and have it come back intact. Instead, the strings get modified.

Seems like I2 needs to have knowledge about Spreadsheet quirks (for example, text that begins with = shouldn't become a formula) and adjust the string or cell number format appropriately in the exported spreadsheet. That way when you Import the text back into the Language Source, it doesn't unexpectedly change.

Twitter | Facebook | Web

More
6 years 1 month ago #2822 by Frank
Yes, That its now fixed in v2.8.4a5. I just uploaded it to the beta folder.
I also updated the Unity Tests to verify this cases, so that they don't happen again in the future.

Also, 2.8.4a5 fixes the export/import, but only when doing REPLACE. The AddNewTerms mode needed some changes to the WebService, so, in order to make it work, you will need to delete the WebService in your GoogleDrive and reinstall it again.

Hope that helps,
Frank

The following user(s) said Thank You: studenman

More
6 years 1 month ago #2823 by studenman

Frank wrote: Also, 2.8.4a5 fixes the export/import, but only when doing REPLACE. The AddNewTerms mode needed some changes to the WebService, so, in order to make it work, you will need to delete the WebService in your GoogleDrive and reinstall it again.

OK, great. Yes, we usually do Replace when importing and exporting.
We just updated the WebService to V5. Is that the correct one, or is there a V6?

Twitter | Facebook | Web

More
6 years 1 month ago #2824 by Frank

We just updated the WebService to V5. Is that the correct one, or is there a V6?

It was a change that doesn't break functionality for others using 2.8.3 or older, so left it with v5 while 2.8.4 is still in beta.
As soon as I release 2.8.4f1 then I most likely will rename it to v6.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine