Maybe this is by design, but I got very confused by it so I mention it here if somebody else gets the same problem.
If you add an "I2 Localize" component to e.g. a Text object, that localization will still be performed even if the Localize component is disabled.
I had added Localize components to a lot of objects in my project but realized that I needed to control some of the localizations from code. So I disabled the Localization components on those objects, added script code to perform the localization instead...and still got the localization performed by the (now disabled) components.
Very confusing and not what I expected, and it took quite some time before I realized that the disabled localization components were still active...
I had to completely remove the Localization components from the objects in order for my scripted translations to be visible.