Initial Language Spanish (Mexico) not detected

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #2874 by enghoff
We are localising Spanish (es) and Mexican Spanish (es-MX) as independent language variants, however, I2 consistently detects only the base "es" variant when it is initially attempting to pick up the language from the OS/Android, even when the system language is definitively set to Mexican Spanish.

Is this a known issue? - are any solutions known?

With thanks,
Sigurd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #2875 by Frank
Are you in the latest version of I2 Localization (v2.8.4f1)?

Previous releases where using the unity systemLanguage which doesn't report variants. In v2.8.4 I added support for getting the variant on Android devices.
If you are not getting the correct behavior in the latest release, please let me know and I will add a fix asap.

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #2876 by enghoff
Thanks for your quick response.

I can confirm that we are running I2 Loc version 2.8.4 f1, it would be incredibly helpful if you were able to provide functionality for regional detection for Android and iOS within the next few days ;)

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #2877 by enghoff
Just been looking a bit more closely at your DetectDeviceLanguage code.

A couple of points specifically relating to Espanol Americas (Latin Spanish):
  • * Setting the device language to Espanol Americas yields a language code es_US, which is not defined in I2 (we been using es_MX in I2)
  • * The GoogleLanguages.GetLanguageName(mCurrentDeviceLanguage, true, true) call returns "Spanish" for es_US, which renders the exercise of incorporating the region somewhat futile
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by enghoff.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #2886 by Frank
Hi,
es-US and es-MX is not the same thing.

es-US is quite weird and is sometime added to the ISO and some times is skipped. Given that its not a region itself, but a group of regions.
For instance: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee825488(v=cs.20).aspx

But to avoid having issue in those devices that do define that, I think the best its to just add the code to I2 Localization.
It is included now in v2.8.5a2.

If you download the beta, just change your language code to es-US and that will be selected correctly when in "Espanol Americas (Latin Spanish)"

Hope that helps,
Frank

Are you :-) Give I2L 5 stars!
Are you :-( Please lets us know how to improve it!
To get the betas as soon as they are ready, check this out

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #2892 by enghoff
Thanks again for your swift and competent response as well as the update to the component.

Just fyi, we are facing the same issue with Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR), which reverts to the main Portuguese variant when detection is attempted.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Template by JoomlaShine